let why lead
Welcome to Let Why Lead, a place for the purposeful wife and mom. I’m Erica, and I'm passionate about living fully and filling my family with love and belonging. For regular reminders of the whys of your life, I hope you’ll keep coming back.
learn more

4:55 p.m.

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 4:55 p.m., the alarm on my phone goes off (playing Frozen’s “Let It Go,” because of course), and I gather three grinning kiddos in for a family hug.

It’s a time of day when we can all benefit from a quick reset—a reminder of how lucky we are to have each other. And for me, because I’m looking at the big push through dinner and to bed, I try to take a few seconds to regroup and gear up. :)

I read the idea at the Abundant Mama a couple of months ago, and I’ve appreciated the mood boost we’ve gotten from it ever since, so I thought it was worth passing along! Let me know if you decide to try it, and I’ll think of you at 4:55 p.m. :)

17 Comments

1. Keri says:

I recently found your blog and just love it. I love this idea- that is always a crazy time of the day- great idea!
    Keri recently posted..Letting Go Of The WorriesMy Profile

1. Erica Layne says:

Hi Keri! I’m so glad you’re here! I was just looking at your blog – How fun that both had two boys and then a girl! And my husband DEFINITELY says the same thing when people ask us if we’ll have more kids. :) Let’s keep in touch!

2. I love this idea! I know I need a little pick me up around this time. :)
    Lisa at Mabey She Made It recently posted..Top Secret Watercolor MessagesMy Profile

1. Erica Layne says:

Thanks, Lisa! Yeah, don’t we all? :) Hope you and the girls are doing well! (How’s the adjustment to three going?)

3. Kimberly says:

This is a great idea! I’m going to start doing it today!

1. Erica Layne says:

I’m glad, Kimberly! Then I will definitely think of you at 4:55! :) I started our doing it every weekday, but I ended up switching to three days a week and find that that works well for us. Happy hugging! ;)

4. Haili says:

How fun!!! Maybe I will try this! :) so I’m curious. I know you’ve done a post about it before but just asking you personally I suppose. Is it hard going from 2 to 3 kids? Having two boys where they’re at the age where you guys could do more things, have a bit more freedom, and then go and add another baby into the mix?

1. Erica Layne says:

Hi Haili! So, at the time, it felt totally doable. My boys (who were 3 and 4 1/2) had each other to help them stay entertained, so in that sense, I felt like it was easier than going from one to two! I was also very lucky in that they adored Quinn from the getgo. (Now, the only thing that gets them down on her is that she destroys all of their creations. :)

But looking back, I think that year was harder on me than I realized…Because of her many naps and Trenton & Chase’s school/preschool schedule, I put friendships, outings, and just LIFE on hold. So emotionally, I think that wore on me a bit.

But I think that first year with a new baby (no matter which baby it is) is kind of a sacrifice. That’s just the way it goes with a little one that is completely dependent on you. :)

Well, those are my random thoughts. Feel free to ask more questions. (I’m guessing you’re thinking of another baby?!) Here are a couple of old posts that have to with babies/siblings:

5. Heather says:

Great idea! I actually do my supper in the morning so afternoon and evening are much more relaxing!
    Heather recently posted..Why We are Drawn to the Train Wreck of Reality TVMy Profile

1. Erica Layne says:

Oooh, I’m intrigued, Heather! If you get a sec, I’d love some more details!

6. Jolynn says:

I love this!!! Such a fun idea. Thanks for sharing!

7. Jessi says:

What a wonderful idea!! And what delicious kiddos!!

1. Erica Layne says:

Thanks, Jessi! Haha, I think they’re delicious too! The baby has changed so much in the year since this was taken. (No good!)

8. LOVE this, Erica! What a great idea!

9. Ashley says:

Hello dear friend! Love your blog and this post!
    Ashley recently posted..I am Giving up Distracted for Examined.My Profile

10. Rachel T. says:

Such a cute idea. You know the Lego Movie song, “Everything Is Awesome”? That would be a great song for this! Sierra and I love that song. Maybe we should start this tradition!

11. Hey there, I found your web blog via The search engines when looking for a equivalent subject matter, your web site surfaced, it seems terrific. I have saved in order to favourites features and functions|added to book marks.