Buttermilk Banana Bread (that you MUST make)

by Erica Layne on March 9, 2014

Buttermilk Banana Bread (that you MUST make)

The other day, when I told the boys we were going to make buttermilk banana bread, they both started squealing “nana bread! nana bread!” and doing a funny little jig around the kitchen. I kind of felt like joining in. It is just. that. good.

I discovered this recipe five years ago, at my favorite food blog, Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. The bread takes on a lighter color than most banana breads because of the addition of buttermilk. It’s sweet, surprisingly fluffy and has a fantastic buttery crust. I get compliments whenever I take it somewhere.

Then when I tried adding an easy buttermilk glaze, it went from breakfast to dessert. :) (Not that that stops us from eating it at breakfast!)

I know people can be pretty loyal to their banana bread recipes, but I’m just gonna say it—I think this is the banana bread to end all banana breads. :)

Buttermilk Banana Bread
Adapted slightly from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

For the bread:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (I use 3 average-sized bananas)
4 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1. Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla until the batter is well mixed. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and soda. Mix until combined. Pour batter into greased and floured bread pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (My oven takes at least 65 minutes.)
  3. Loosen the edges with a knife and empty the pan onto a cooling rack.
  4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon buttermilk, and vanilla. Add more buttermilk as needed to reach a drizzleable-but-still-on-the-thick-side glaze. (Such a professional description!) Drizzle onto the bread and allow to finish cooling (if you can wait!).

*I usually sub 3 tablespoons of applesauce for 3 tablespoons of butter, as well as sub out 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour for King Arthur’s white whole wheat flour. Slightly healthier and still amazing!

Enjoy!

Linked up with What I Learned WednesdayWorks for Me Wednesday, the Mommy Brain Mixer, and Grace at Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Claire @ Lemon Jelly Cake March 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Haha, yes, I’m pretty loyal to my banana bread recipe ;) and I always go back to it, but I’m not above trying out new ones too! This looks beautiful and delicious. And I have six or seven overripe bananas on my counter…
Claire @ Lemon Jelly Cake recently posted..Friday Favorites: Spring (and a Free Printable!)My Profile

Jeni March 10, 2014 at 4:21 am

This looks glorious! I’ve tried several of the recipes you’ve posted and haven’t been disappointed even once. Can’t wait to try this!
Jeni recently posted..Happy birthday, Olivia!My Profile

Erica Layne March 10, 2014 at 4:39 am

Thanks, Jeni! I don’t post food all that often, so when I do, they are my favorite recipes. I’m so glad you’ve liked them!

Rachel T. March 11, 2014 at 1:53 am

Mmmm. Thanks for sharing. Definitely going to try this!

ela@GrayApron March 11, 2014 at 11:58 am

Nice loaf…moist, dense but delicate. Thanks for sharing! :) ela

Joanna Sormunen March 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I’m doing a gluten free lent right now. But I can promise you that as soon as Easter comes, I’ll try this out. Yummy!
Joanna Sormunen recently posted..Thoughts and questions on St. Teresa of Avila’s book “The Way of Perfection”My Profile

Alexis @ We Like to Learn as We Go March 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Wow this sounds amazing! And I actually have some old bananas in the freezer waiting to be made into bread. Just pinned it!
Alexis @ We Like to Learn as We Go recently posted..What I Learned Wednesday #95My Profile

Erica Layne March 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thanks so much, Alexis! I hope you like it as much as we do!!

Heather @ Life as we know it... March 19, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I’m always on the look out for a new banana bread recipe. This one looks amazing!
Heather @ Life as we know it… recently posted..Working on a strong-willed child.My Profile

Holly Giles March 20, 2014 at 5:16 pm

This sounds fantastic, I think I will have to make it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing. Holly

Diane @ Vintage Zest March 24, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Wow, this looks fantastic! Also, congrats because you are featured on this week’s Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/03/do-tell-tuesday-16-with-features-co-host.html

Diane @ Vintage Zest
Diane @ Vintage Zest recently posted..Do Tell Tuesday #16 with Features & Co-host!My Profile