13 more ways I do not have it together

by Erica Layne on March 14, 2014

13 ways I do not have it together

Last October I confessed to 13 ways in which I do not have it together. Turns out, I’m still slipping grandly on twelve out of thirteen of those! So I figured, why not add a few more? If you’re feeling like you’ve barely got a handle on things, read this and feel a bit better. :)

1. A week ago, I left the van door wide open when dropping Trenton off at kindergarten. WIDE open. For quite a while.

2. Self-care is taking a hit right now. Let’s just say if I’m wearing a hat, it’s for good reason.

3. It’s no secret that I’m not great at maintaining my boys’ hygiene, but—teeth brushing. Oh it kills me. I’m short on reserves at the end of the day, when Chase is dancing around on his tiptoes rather than standing still so I can brush his “fangs.” Not surprisingly, between the two boys, they have five cavities. Sad day! (The previous dentist appointment they had none. I feel robbed!)

4. My relationships are still taking a hit. I go through periods where I’m more active socially and others where I am not. Apparently, the introvert in me is winning right now.

5. I’m not consistently receiving texts and I’m not even doing anything to fix it! One of these days…

6. The text conversations that I actually have? I accidentally drop them for long lengths of time and then, when I suddenly remember, I pick them up again as if I never missed a beat. (Even though I obviously did. :)

7. I just returned a maternity jacket that my best friend loaned me when I was pregnant with Quinn, approximately 16 MONTHS ago. Oops! (So sorry, friend!)

8. I’m not exercising at all right now…unless you count making dinner with 23 extra-cute pounds on my hip. SMALL chance I burned myself out after that last half-marathon. Hopefully an effort at regular but moderate exercise is in my near future??

9. My other personality comes out when I sleep, and she isn’t nice. I recently read that parents have lost  an average of two months of sleep by the time their baby hits a year. Quinn is almost one, so I think that explains it. But I am crazy territorial about my sleep—just ask my husband.

10. I rescheduled a playdate a shameful number of times. You should see our sorry email chain. (My fault, girl!)

11. I’m never on top of meal planning anymore.

12. I missed a well child check this week.

13. In keeping with this list, I’m half a day late publishing this post! It’s only fitting.

We’re moms. You understand, right??

Linked up with the Mommy Brain Mixer and On My Heart

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel T. March 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

:(. Well it LOOKS like you have it together. Don’t sweat the small stuff. I understand!

Erica Layne March 14, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Haha, well hopefully this proves otherwise. :) Love you!

Lisa-The Domestic Life Stylist March 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm

About the hair… I have a great collection of hats and hair scarves that always help me get through. It’s kind of become part of my signature look at this point.
Lisa-The Domestic Life Stylist recently posted..Party Planning Tips Plus $50 Gift Card GiveawayMy Profile

marcella March 14, 2014 at 7:10 pm

You sound perfectly normal to me. I, who has no children at home and gets to sleep at night and does not have all the distractions you do did this the other day. Friend was over, we were going to run out for lunch. I thought I was driving so I opened the garage door so we could go out that way. Friend had parked smack in the middle of the driveway and said she was blocking me so she’d drive. So we got in her car and sat there. I’m sitting there, seatbelt on wondering why she wasn’t starting the car. Finally she looked at me and asked, “so is your garage door going to magically close itself?” Oh. P.S. made your banana bread for breakfast this morning and it was really delicious!
marcella recently posted..PutteringMy Profile

Erica Layne March 14, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Oh I loved this! That’s so funny that you friend kind of just let it ruminate a bit before she said anything. :)

Lisa at Mabey She Made It March 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Let’s see: Numbers 2, 4,5, 8, 11, and 12 sound all to familiar (and I was “only” 5 months late on the well-child visit for Brynley so they went ahead and counted it as the next year visit…). Then add to those my own failings (including doing everything humanly possible to avoid my to do list) and I’d say I can relate.
Lisa at Mabey She Made It recently posted..Nesting to Newborns Wrap-upMy Profile

Erica Layne March 14, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I had to glance back over those numbers so I could really enjoy knowing that you’re doing (or not doing :) the same things. ;) Miss you – wish we were avoiding our to-do lists together!

Amber Bouchat March 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I think this is cute :) All very mom-appropriate!
Amber Bouchat recently posted..My Day in PicturesMy Profile

Desirae March 14, 2014 at 9:22 pm

This post was one of the highlights of my day today! When everybody is only showing their “perfect life” on social media this post is really a much appreciated breath of fresh air! I love how honest you are. Also, you are one of the most productive and amazing people I know! P.S. I’m totally sporting a hat right now to cover up my lack of self-care as well!

Erica Layne March 14, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Thanks, dear! I feel the same way (times ten) about you! Also, “to cover up my lack of self-care” cracked me up. Amen to that!

Liz March 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

My boys were playing in the car one morning after errands and came in when they were done. Later that night I realized, that the garage door and van doors were wide open. Glad it was still there!

Erica Layne March 14, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Haha, maybe it’s the fact that van doors slide so nicely – it makes them easier to forget??? Thank goodness we were both in apparently safe neighborhoods. :)

Allison March 15, 2014 at 12:03 am

I totally relate to 6 and 9! I am so mean in the middle of the night to my poor husband.
Allison recently posted..A new adventureMy Profile

Brittany March 15, 2014 at 2:05 am

I loved reading this and I have to say I can relate to almost every single one of them. I even left our van door open the other day at church! And I’m the worst about the sleep thing too!

Stephanie March 15, 2014 at 2:36 am

I’m sitting here reading this post at 7:30 at night still in my pajamas from last night. Sick kids are a good excuse right? Thanks for sharing your list, it is good to see people’s real life sometimes. I wear a hat all too often. When I was at a well-child appointment the pediatrician asked, “Were you in the building yesterday? I recognized your hat from across the hallway.” Now I try to make an effort not to wear a hat when I go see her. LOL

Erica Layne March 16, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I’m late saying so, but I just wanted to say I loved this comment, Stephanie! A day of pjs sounds like my kind of day! And no question when kids are sick that we aren’t bothering to get dressed. As the mom, why not join the party?? Loved the hat story, too. Hope you guys had a great weekend! (Is it Sunday night already??)

Heather March 15, 2014 at 4:52 pm

You’re entitled to not have it all together -you’re a mom!
Heather recently posted..What We’ve Learnt From the Ten Worst Crime Spots in South AfricaMy Profile

Katie @ Wonderfully Made March 17, 2014 at 1:04 am

I was nodding, nodding, nodding all the way through this post! And, I thought I was all alone with the teeth brushing struggle! So glad to know it’s not just me :)

Sarah March 19, 2014 at 1:04 am

I love knowing I’m not the only one :) I’m guilty of so many of these and more!
Sarah recently posted..41:20My Profile

Heather @ Life as we know it... March 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I absolutely LOVE the honesty in this post! There are so many ways we all don’t have it together, it is nice seeing that others feel it, too! Now, write a post on the ways you do have i together, you will make yourself feel good!
Heather @ Life as we know it… recently posted..Working on a strong-willed child.My Profile

Holli March 21, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Um…totally understand. Completely with you on most all of these…I figure if you get the teeth brushed once it is a good day. I only say “most all” because I don’t have one quite so little anymore, but I’m sure I could add a ton to this list. Yoga pants, for one. All the time. And of course right now. Thank you for making the rest of us take a relaxing breath.
Holli recently posted..World Water Day and YouMy Profile

Nicolette Springer March 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Oh Erica, I could have written this post. Car door open and all. I’m hoping the warmer weather and sunshine will clear my brain soon. Hang in there, you are not alone.
Nicolette Springer recently posted..{Mommy Brain Mixer} Welcome and Join Us!My Profile