DIY Inspiration Board

by Erica Layne on June 15, 2012

After eyeing these burlap message boards at Ballard Designs for quite a while, I decided making my own would be simple enough, and I was right!

I ordered a basic cork bulletin board (24×36) and some upholstery nails on amazon. I picked up some linen at the fabric store (technically a linen look-alike, which saved me even more money). I stapled the linen around the board and did a few measurements / quick calculations to place the nails. I love how it turned out. I think I like the linen even more than Ballard’s burlap version.

But then I found out that, for me, styling it was much harder than making it. It hung nearly empty over my desk for a good couple of months while I collected photos and mementos and thought about how to arrange them. The problem is that while I’m smitten with the eclectic, collected boards we’re seeing right now, I’m more of a clean lines kind of girl at heart. Plus, the board is on display in our living room (along with my desk), so I want to stick with the style of the rest of the house, which is fairly clean and edited. (But not to be confused with neat-clean—you should see this place during the day!)

{via} {via}

So in the end, this is what was born:

Two of my favorite items include our wedding invitation in the top center and a little love note from Ryan. (On display for anyone to read! Come over to my house!) I love that most of the photos are large enough to see easily while you’re sitting on our couch.

If I ever manage to create something eclectic and awesome, I will definitely show you. But for the most part, I’m happy embracing clean and simple design.

On Monday, I’ll show what my whole desk area looks like. (Here) You’ll be holding your breath till then, right?

Have a wonderful weekend! Happy Father’s Day to the men in your life!

Linked up with Serenity Now’s Weekend Reading and the Thrifty Decor Chick. Welcome to any first-time visitors!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Debbie Holt June 15, 2012 at 3:54 am

I love bulletin boards and I especially love yours!! So cute!! It seems like just yesterday that I received that cute wedding invitation in the mail!! Where did the years go?!!

Erica {let why lead} June 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm

No kidding! It seems like yesterday I was addressing them all by hand! haha Time does fly!

And thanks for the sweet comment. Miss you guys!

Missy | The Literal Mom June 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Totally awesome job! My bulletin board is always overflowing and hard to keep up with – I always love to see ones that look clean like yours!
Missy | The Literal Mom recently posted..Clean Up Your Act – Spring Green QuinoaMy Profile

Ashley June 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Cute! I love it!

Jennie June 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m with you on the clean lines! I really dislike the cluttered look.
Jennie recently posted..The Case for the StaycationMy Profile

momto8blog June 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

your bulletin board is WAY better than my bulletin board.
momto8blog recently posted..Pitfalls Of A Young EntrepreneurMy Profile

Shelley June 17, 2012 at 2:00 am

It looks beautiful with just the right amount of “stuff”!
Shelley recently posted..Weekend Pupdate #18My Profile

Malerie June 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love this and must make one. I pinned it. :)

Olga June 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm

That is very cute inspiration board. I love it!

Sarah June 24, 2012 at 5:32 am

Hi Erica!

Just saw your desk post and am now reading your DIY Inspiration Board. I have a tremendously ugly cork board in my kitchen, and I’m wondering why I haven’t give it a much needed makeover! I love the simplicity of your work area, as well as your board. No wonder you love your space :).

I’ve hesitated to put more effort into my office area, and so I do most of my blogging on my laptop on the couch “off hours”. This is mostly because we are renting and am not ready to put forth the effort, but I just love what you have done with your space! Maybe all I need is that slight nudge…perhaps this can be my summer “project”?

Have a wonderful week!
Sarah
Sarah recently posted..Wedding at the Farm {By the Girl With Five Brothers}My Profile

Debra June 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm

What a great idea! This should be something we make at an activity for RS!

Liz May 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Totally random but I just found this post, probably because I eyed the board I just made this last week. I’m proud I made it but have no idea where to hang it or what to put on it. :)

Previous post: